When people find out that you are a flight attendant, you get a lot of different responses. Some positive. Some negative. I think it's really funny when people find out and they just "HAVE to tell you about the HORRIBLE experience" they had a few weeks ago on a flight. It's nice when they tell you a good experience.
People also have a lot of questions about the career. About our schedule. About our everyday lives. What we do on our off days. All kinds of questions. This is just a round up of some of my favorite. Not my favorite because they are smart more because they are bizarre.
This is a quick post of some of those questions, and how I like to respond to them. Hope you enjoy :)
1. Can you get me discounted flights? haha I'm totally joking but can you?
2. What's your route?
As flight attendants, we don't really have routes. There are two options for how our schedules work:
1. You are on call. All the time just waiting for a call. You never know where you are going. You just go where you are told.
2. You have a set schedule and you know your schedule for the month. You can trade trips. Drop trips. Pick up trips. You can work 40 hours for the month or you can work 140. It's totally up to you.
I think a big part of why a lot of us have this job is because of how random it is. I would hate to constantly be flying to the same place everyday.
3. Do you have, like, a real home?
I do have a home but they never give me days off.
4. What city are we flying over?
Me: *Pretends to look out window and down to Earth*
It's always Greenland.
5. You look like ed sheeran!
This has absolutely nothing to do with being a flight attendant but I get it at least 27 times a day so I thought I would add it to make this an even numbered list.
In my own opinion I think he is a little funny looking so it's nice when people
say "a better looking version of Ed Sheeran"
That's what I'm talking bout. *winks with both eyes*
6. Can you clog an airplane toilet?
I don't know, Natasha, What are you accusing me of? Is this a challenge? I feel attacked.
7. Why do I have to put my phone in airplane mode?
I honestly have no idea...but I don't suggest messing with it considering you're flying through the air in a metal tube, just saying.
But like damn girl, you can't put your phone down for 20 minutes until we are in the air? Then you can connect to wifi and text all your little squirrel friends or whatever the hell it is you gotta do. Jeez.
*Walks to back galley and checks Facebook*
8. My cousin's sister's boyfriend's mother was a gate agent six years ago do you know her? her name is Janice!
Ooooooh, yeah! Janice. Yeah we go way back. She's my favorite. Sweet Gal.
If you see her tell her to get ahold of me...I want to invite her to my pampered chef party.
Do you have a question
A little over a year ago I made the bold (and crazy) decision to drop out of school, quit my job and move across the country to start my life as a cabin crew member. With my suit freshly pressed and my shiny wings pinned to my heart, I was ready to take on the world. ....read more.
SUBSCRIBE TO MY NEWSLETTER FOR WEEKLY UPDATES, TRAVEL TIPS AND EXCLUSIVE STORIES FROM THE PLANE STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX